Friday, September 16, 2016

Weekend Update - 9/16/16

Some very good news this week. I met with my surgeon this week and the decision has been made to go ahead with the removal of my remaining thyroid gland and the nodules growing lustily inside it. My surgery is scheduled for the 27th of September. I am very grateful to have the doctors I have had an have full confidence in them. After all, they have saved my life. I am still in a bit of shock that for the first time in over three years I will not have anything in my body that might have be operated on and/or removed. I will also be free of “something extra” growing inside my body that, in all likelihood, would kill me. I feel like the weight of the world is being lifted off of me. My pre-surgery get ready activities continue in full swing. I am walking and exercising as I can. I can also begin to plan things again as this surgery should be a “quickie” in that I should be in and out in a day or two and the recovery time will be relatively short. There will be a period of a couple of months of possible side effects (mainly fatigue) as my medication(s) are adjusted. I was also told my blood levels can be easier adjusted now that my thyroid will be gone as the battle between my remaining thyroid and the medication will be over. In short I should do better. The future is beginning to appear much brighter and I am looking forward to it. My continued thanks to the folks in the prostate support group. The reality is I am a card carrying member of the prostate cancer club and as such there are things I must continue to do and monitor. Part of my reality is that sometimes my life is not a bed of roses. There are times in which a lot of thorns are sticking in me. I have learned that eventually the thorns do get pulled out, especially if I help do some of the pulling. I am sharing this to remind myself and others that this circle of life we all share, while at times very painful and apparently hopeless, is also at its’ base level so very beautiful and brilliant. I have found that for me to get back in touch with the brilliance of life I have to share those dark times and thoughts which occur with friends/family or somebody in order to gain some sense of perspective which has continued to allow me to return to the light. Life goes on and I am still grateful for the gift of perception. I am doing very well indeed compared to others. There but for the grace. Please note: That particular financial “ouch” of the medication “donut hole” continues. A continuing big “THANK YOU” to all who have and continue to share their experience, strength, hope, time and resources. Your time and gifts are, as always, greatly appreciated and needed. I so look forward to the day when I do not need to ask for assistance. This continues to be a very humbling experience. ***Please note that the 12/3/15 post in my blog is one which I encourage you to share freely.*** Please read and share my story. www.gofundme.com/j55wek

No comments:

Post a Comment