Monday, December 14, 2015

Weekend Update - 12/14/15

Oh the memories from last year at this time. Well, in fact, I really do not remember much at all. I have a vague memory of being in the ER at some point(s) but beyond that I am clueless. In talking with those who were with me last year I have been told that I was pretty much “out of it” and spending time with me made for great entertainment and exasperation. I do remember my primary mantra was “this is only temporary”. I was often told (as I have been reminded) that change would come and I would probably remember very little, if any, about this period of time. Indeed this has proven to be true for me. The reasons for this I am told were a combination of “anesthesia brain”, as a result of my initial surgery, and the drugs I was taking at the time. Currently I am doing much better. The many doctor/nurse/lab appointments continue. I am making good progress in all areas and they continue to keep a close watch on my thyroid. Now is the time of watching and waiting …. especially waiting over the next several months. The one most apparent area of concern and impact at this time is the radiation colitis. This is greatly affecting my day to day activities. I have learned to “be prepared” at all times. I am also trying to not let this keep me confined to my home. This will not get better and learning to live with it is the order of the day. One of the gifts of my cancer journey that will keep on giving. I am showing up. I am now volunteering at Winship Cancer Institute. Once a social worker, always a social worker. This is one small attempt to give back what was so freely given to me. I am also applying to do more volunteer work. I am enjoying the holidays in ways I have been unable to in the past. I am practicing a much more active spiritual life. I am much more at peace with my past, my present and my future. I am focused on being here present in the now and being profoundly grateful I have been given another chance to live. I also know I would not be here if not for the grace and gifts of those in my life. I cannot say this often enough, … Thank You. And in closing, the reality of my financial situation continues to be what it is…. not good. I am asking all to give what you can and to remember that no amount is to small. Every little bit helps. I am living month to month, and without the support I have received I would not still be living in my home. **Please note that the 12/3/15 post in my blog is one which I encourage you to share freely. Please read and share my story. www.gofundme.com/j55wek

No comments:

Post a Comment