Friday, November 20, 2015

Weekend Update - 11/20/15

Weekend Update - 11/20/15 One year ago I had 3-5 months to live. Only as a result of some good doctoring and the compassion of my friends and family am I here today. The following is a list of my “thank you” to all. Although I feel this is very inadequate, this is the least I can do. Thank you all for being willing to be of service. I am reminded every day there is good on the world. I am so grateful for all of the gifts I have received over this past 16 months. I cannot value one more than another. All are sacred to me and all were needed. I am a very fortunate human being to have you all in my life. The following are my recollections of some moments with each of you that not only saved my life but have given me a life worth living. Friends, who upon hearing my terminal diagnosis, did not minimize contact with me or disappear. Instead they maintained our regular contacts and encouraged me to do the same. Thank you for being willing to talk about death and how best to prepare for it. I can strongly recommend to have your will, DNR, and other personal papers/arrangements already prepared and to not wait until death is literally staring you in the face. The peace you all have given me in this process is very precious to me. Thank you for your gifts of spending time with me, listening to me and sharing your experience strength and hope with me. Reminding me continuously that I am not alone and would not be alone as my cancer journey unfolded. And thank you for the cards and gifts. Tangible proof that you care and that humor is good. Thank you for being honest with me by “pulling my head out of my ass” and turning the lights out and shutting the door to my “pity party room” while at the same time letting me know I was, and am, loved and am a valuable and necessary human being. Thank you for all the trips to and from the doctor, hospital and pharmacies. Thank you for the trips to see other people and helping me to remember the world was still out there. Thank you for being with me before, during and after my surgeries. Note to self and all of you …. never, never never, have a surgery anywhere near a holiday. Thank you for transporting me to the ER (twice after surgery) and sitting with me as those events unfolded. If there is a hell, waiting in the ER is one floor of it. Thank you for listening to me - and putting up with me - as I recovered from my surgeries. I do not remember a lot of this but the stories a few of you have shared with me let me know just how “out of my mind” I was. Thank you for the “personal care” given. Everything from the enemas and bathing to the wound care. I am so glad I did not look at my incision until later into the healing process. Thank you for being willing to -literally -see “all of me” through these events. At least you can say you have seen the dark side of the moon. And a special thank you to my nurse for the wound care and great advice about how and when to take my medication. You really helped chill me out and teach me to not be such a pain in the ass. Thank you for all the food and trips to the store. Thank you for just visiting and spending time. Thank you for your gifts of money and other resources. I am able to still be in my home only as a result of your generosity. And I must say thank you for the gift of your time. The nights spent watching over me and the days spent with me. Please know that I have adopted you all and consider you family. I am a very grateful human being and will do what I can to pass on what has so freely been bestowed upon me. Much love to you all. As the holidays are here, I ask all who would like to give to please donate as my greatest need continues to be paying my bills. And in closing, the reality of my financial situation is what it is…. not good. I am asking all to give what you can and remember that no amount is to small. Every little bit helps. I am living month to month, and without the support I have received I would not still be living in my home. Please read and share my story. www.gofundme.com/j55wek

No comments:

Post a Comment